Friday, June 1, 2012

Mourning Elderly Lady: Lost Photo #1

Elderly Lady, possibly in 1890's mourning dress.
Approximately 60 to 70 years old

Unmarked photo
She has a solemn sad look to her. 
I wonder what she is holding in her hand.

Same elderly lady with hands uncrossed


I recently went into an antique store in La Mesa, California and inquired to the sales clerk if they held any personal photo collections that I could look at.  The clerk led me to a back room where a roll up desk revealed a small collection of photo's mainly dated in the 1880's- to early 1900's.  The clerk allowed me to go through the stack as long as I promised to put them back neatly.

As I went through the photos, I had no idea what I was looking for, but decided I would purchase anything that caught my attention, what I thought was unique, and what I thought needed a home with me while I try to date, and possibly identify each photo.

I am by no means an expert, and as a matter of fact just interested in learning more about each photo, the person in the photo, and trying to discover any piece of evidence as to finding its way back to the person's descendant.

So this is my first post and hoping that if anyone has possible information or insight into the photos I post, please post a comment or drop me a line.


14 comments:

  1. I have alot of old family photos unnamed in storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember to write names on the backs of our photos.

      Delete
  2. I hope someone see her and know who she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for creating a blog for your passion for old photos! It is something I have wanted to do for years and just haven't gotten around to it. Your first 2 photos are really wonderful! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Edna. I didn't know how fun this would be. So now I buy old photo's over baseball cards now. ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is a fantastic idea. I have a small collection of old photos originally acquired to be scanned and used in my papercrafting. I wonder if I could reunite them with their extended families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great to re-unite those photos. I realize that the photos I have may never be identified or reunited but at least they will be posted for others to enjoy.

      Delete
  5. I have such a hard time walking away from the old family photos at estate sales, but I just can't afford to adopt all of them! This is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be expensive. Good thing the photos I purchased, I received a great deal on them...They were probably sitting in their store for years.

      Delete
  6. Could be a rosary in her hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya, I think it just might be a rosary.

      Delete
  7. This is not necessarily relevant to this photo, but could happen to your family photos. The years go by fast, our loved ones pass on & people move. Unbeknownst to many, oftentimes items(family photos, childhood toys, heirlooms, etc.) are forgotten In The Attic. A painting of my grandmother, her mother,and siblings(circa late 1970's)was given to my grandmother.Upon her death my uncle took ownership of it. After falling ill he moved in with my aunt-he soon passed. A few years later my aunt did as well. After viewing a photo album the painting was seen in the background of a picture ...as you can imagine everyone started asking about the painting (this was 2 and a half years ago). With my cousin moving to a new home he ventured into the attic and found the painting. We were ecstatic to say the least & very thankful he looked In The Attic.Thank for your passion and the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! What a wonderful story of once lost and then found. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete